Border Crossing: Canadian Immigration Programs

Perhaps you’ve heard something about Canadian immigration programs. Canada is famously open to foreigners and immigrants. And the rumours are true. In fact, in some major cities, like Toronto, nearly half of the residents were born outside of Canada. As the neighbor to the south increasingly tightens its borders, and immigration to the U.S. becomes more and more difficult, Canada is doing what it can to encourage the intake of skilled workers, talented students, and foreign investors.

But before you make plans to move to Canada, you’ll need to carefully decide which visa program is right for you. Luckily, you have a wide variety to choose from.

The following is a quick summary of the many visa programs currently offered by the Canadian government. We explain them in far greater detail in our Online Relocation Guides. You can also visit the CIC website for complete information.

  • Study Permit: as a student in Canada, you are granted residency, but not the right to work.
  • IEC Working Holiday Visa: if your country qualifies, you can live and work in Canada for 1-2 years. (apply online)
  • Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA): if you already have an employer in Canada, they can apply on your behalf to stay in Canada for 1-3 years. (more info)
  • Family Class (FC): Canadian citizens and residents can sponsor family members wanting to move to Canada. Parents and grandparents are eligible for what’s called a Super Visa. (apply online)
  • Express Entry: This new system applies to all economic class programs, including CEC, PNP, FWSP, FSTP. (more info)
  • Canadian Experience Class (CEC): open to people who already have 12 months skilled work experience in Canada and wish to extend their stay. (apply online)
  • Provincial Nominee Program (PNP): provinces and territories can nominate individuals for residency based on skills and experience.
  • Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) / Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP):  these programs apply to jobs and professions that are in especially high demand. (more info)

Should you require immigration assistance services, we recommend getting help only from professionals regulated by The Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council.

Hopefully this we help you see a clear path to get yourself living and working in Canada. Once you’ve got your visas and work permits organized, you can reach out to ARIANNE Relocation Specialists for additional guidance in making a smooth transition to your new home!

2018-06-01T11:23:08+00:00 By |Immigration|

About the Author:

Fred Hornaday took a road trip from California to Wisconsin for his first birthday party. Since then, his itch to travel has led him on numerous cross country and transcontinental adventures throughout North America and Europe. He met his wife in Germany, got married in Denmark, and honeymooned in Colombia. He knows a thing or two about international travel and relocation.


  1. […] Border Crossing: Canadian Immigration Programs […]

  2. […] Border Crossing: Canadian Immigration Programs […]

Comments are closed.